WP8.1 and the PN544 Support

Nov 21, 2014 at 12:29 PM
First I want to congratulate you for the project is very useful.

On the other hand, I've been reading various forums and I am very upset with WP8.1 by the support of the PN544 NFC chips.

It really is not possible to execute raw commands PN544 chip? That would be necessary for this to be? It is a driver issue or a commercial asusnto Windows Phone?

I appreciate if someone can answer my questions.

regards,
GAP
Coordinator
Dec 16, 2014 at 7:00 PM
Glad it's helpful, for the NXP PN544 chip support it's a driver issue. At the time the NXP PN544 driver was created, there was no SmartCardReader API support on Windows Phone so the driver couldn't implement support it either, and once the SmartCardReader API was added there was only the PN547 driver under development.

So while it's technically possible for devices with the PN544 chip to have their driver updated to support SmartCardReader, there's unfortunately no current plans for that driver work to be done by the chip vendor or OEMs mainly because it's expected that pretty much all new designs will use newer chips such as the PN547 which do support SmartCardReader.

We certainly wish that the PN544 could be supported, but at the moment it's unlikely. But it's expected that nearly all newly designed phones releasing from now on will be built with support for SmartCardReader.
Dec 17, 2014 at 12:13 PM
Thank you very much for such a detailed explanation, and we all want that the driver for the PN544 is developed.
While we wait phones PN547 by Argentine, which have not yet arrived.